Childs Road & Route 202 Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Consists of 50 acres including 13 structures, and its focal point, the Van Dorn Mill, c.1843, one of the finest examples of stonework in N.J. First residents were farmers and millers, settled in mid-1700s. Present mill replaced original one of 1768 which supplied Washington's troops with grain. Operational until World War II. Entered in State Register, 12/12/74. Entered in State Register, 1974. Entered in National Register, 1975.
Entered in State Register August 16, 1991 Entered in National Register October 11, 1991
Consists of 142 acres - 84 contributing, 7 non-contributing buildings, 1 stone bridge and liberty pole site, centerpiece is Liberty Corner Presbyterian Church, built 1868-69, an Italianate structure. Entered in State and National Registers, 1991.
Alward Farm House
(Chimney Ash Farm) 1 Chimney Ash Farm Road Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Colonial era farmhouse represents the simple and primitive lifestyle of early settlers. Built c.1740, it is one of the first structures in Bernards Township. Entered in State and National Registers, 1986.
Basking Ridge Presbyterian Church
1 E. Oak Street
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Greek Revival style church built in 1839. A stately white oak tree over 600 years old stands in the churchyard where 35 Revolutionary War veterans are buried. Sanctuary, church yard and tree on State and National Registers, 1974.
The Old Oak Tree is situated in the graveyard of the Presbyterian Church. This 600-year old white oak tree is a site where George Washington is said to have picnicked in the late 1770s.
(Turner Homestead) 214 N. Maple Avenue Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Built in 1804, the house is an example of a New Jersey frame farmhouse which later served as a crossroads tavern, meeting place and stage coach route. Entered in State and National Registers, 1977.
King George Road Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Built between 1750 and 1840, the Farmstead and three historic agricultural structures are part of Old Farmstead Park, a 36.5 acre property along the Passaic River. The Farmstead's buildings are early examples of English and modified Dutch framing. The Farmstead is site of a classical school founded by the Rev. Samuel Kennedy; later relocated several times and finally housed in the Brick Academy. The 1740 home was also residence of founding father of State of NJ, Col. Ephraim Martin. Later home of prominent Stelle landowners. Property in agricultural use for more than 250 years. Other buildings include large English barn and wagon barn. State Register 2002; National Register 2003.
Lord Stirling Manor Site
96 Lord Stirling Road Basking Ridge, NJ 07920 908-766-2489
Two brick buildings are all that remain of the Lord Stirling/William Alexander estate. Research has established these were auxiliary buildings related to farm life (granary, farm office, perhaps used by domestic servants). Archeological digs are ongoing on site which is owned by the Somerset County Park Commission. Entered on State Register, 1976; National Register, 1977.
The Brick Academy
15 W. Oak Street Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Originally built to house the Basking Ridge Classical School in 1809. This is the oldest existing Federal style building in Bernards Township; it was Public School District #12 from 1852-1903; it then was a union hall and served as the municipal building 1924-1975. It is the present home of The Historical Society of Somerset Hills.
The Brick Academy was built as the Basking Ridge Classical School; its function was to prepare young men for the College of New Jersey (now known as Princeton University). It has also served as a public school, a union hall, and a town hall. It now serves as a historic museum for Basking Ridge.
Van Dorn Mill
The Van Dorn Mill was built in 1768 as a wooden structure; it was rebuilt in 1843 as the finest stone structure in New Jersey. Thousands of stones were hauled from the hedgerows of nearby farms. Builders were paid one dollar per day to build the stone mill. Altogether, this amounted to $5,000, a large amount of money in the 1800s. However, the mill paid for itself in the first year of operation.